COVID-19 Information for Tenants
Hawaii is currently in the reopening phase of its Kamaʻāina Economy. Essential businesses have remained open and low-risk businesses were authorized to begin reopening in May. Hawaii is now in its second phase, “Acting with Care,” which allows for the phased reopening of medium- and high-risk businesses and activities. Guidelines vary by county; we encourage you to visit county websites for reopening dates applicable to your business. As more businesses begin to reopen, we continue to take all necessary precautions to protect the well-being of our tenants, customers, employees, and the larger community.
We remain committed to working with you through these challenging times and will continue to provide resources and information.
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) provides direct financial aid to support small businesses suffering economic hardships due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Act provides small businesses access to loans through the Small Business Administration (SBA) under the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) and for Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) relief. Tenants in operation on or before February 15, 2020 may qualify for a loan and should contact their bank to see if it is an SBA lender or can qualify to make loans under this program.
- Paycheck Protection Program: loan designed to provide a direct incentive for small businesses to keep their workers on the payroll. This program provides federally guaranteed loans up to $10 million that can be forgiven up to the amount spent on operating expenses, including payroll, rent, and utilities. Under the Paycheck Protection Flexibility Act that was signed into law on June 5, at least 60% must be used for payroll costs and the other 40% can be spent on rent and utilities for forgiveness of loan. Borrowers may now use the loan over a 24-week period. The program will be available through December 31, 2020.
- Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program: small business owners in Hawaii are eligible to apply for a low-interest loan of up to $2 million to cover business expenses due to the pandemic. It also includes a grant for eligible businesses to receive a cash advance of up to $10,000 that is not required to be repaid. The SBA is requesting information to qualify for an economic injury loan through this eligibility verification form.
- U.S. Senate Committee: Small Business Owner’s Guide to the CARES Act
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce: Small Business Guide and Checklist
- U.S. Department of Treasury: Assistance for Small Businesses
- Forbes: The New Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act Is Signed Into Law Today
General Information on COVID-19
- The State of Hawaii Department of Health provides COVID-19 information and resources to the community.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has the latest medication information on COVID-19.
- Aloha United Way in partnership with the DOH has a hotline to answer COVID-19 questions. Dial 211.
Information for Employers
- The Hawaii Chamber of Commerce provides information that is geared toward employers in Hawaii.
- The Hawaii Department of Labor and Industrial Relations has workplace information for employers.
County Guidance and Resources
State government sets the general parameters for reopening and each county customizes specific guidelines in light of their own unique circumstances. For this reason, reopening dates and guidance vary by county.
- Food-a-Go-Go: submit information on takeout, delivery and curbside pickup services on the free online site launched by Hawaii Agricultural Foundation.
- Hawaii Grinds @ Home: add your restaurant or food-related businesses to this searchable database that lists takeout, curbside, delivery or meal plan services, as well as delivery services used by each.
- Rally for Restaurants: add your restaurant as part of the national restaurant movement to support local restaurants.
- Maui Now and Big Island Now: share that you are open for business.
Third-Party Delivery Services
- Facebook has launched a grant program to provide financial support for small businesses impacted by COVID-19.
- Google is providing ad credits to small and medium-sized businesses to support them by staying in touch with its customers.
This information for our tenants will continue to be updated as additional materials become available. We also recommend that you conduct your own research and diligence on these programs for their respective applicability to your business.
Please reach out to your property manager with any questions or concerns. You may also contact us at email@example.com and through our hotline at (808) 525-6613.